Gateway Reviews - Lessons Learned reports [archived]
Update 29 April 2015:
Please note: All material relating to Gateway is now located in the Investment Management area of the Treasury website.
From time to time the New Zealand Gateway Unit analyses the findings and recommendations of Gateway reviews and publishes the results in a Lessons Learned report. These lessons learned are observations gained from Gateway reviews which highlight opportunities for project and programme management improvements in New Zealand Government agencies.
To date two reports have been published:
July 2011: Gateway reviews 1 - 50 (May 2008 - March 2011)
December 2013: Gateway reviews 51 - 100 (April 2011 - March 2013)
The results presented in these two reports are an analysis of Gateway reviews conducted across 56 projects and 27 agencies, from the inception of Gateway in May 2008 through to March 2013.
Positive lessons learned tend to emerge as projects progress to second and subsequent reviews. Many projects which have reached Gate 4 ('Readiness for Service') have now successfully transitioned into service.
The review reports identified a number of agencies with projects on track to deliver successful outcomes through sound project management principles. These agencies generally share the following good practice fundamentals, encompassing many of Gateway's key themes:
- projects strongly aligned with organisation and government policies and goals
- clear senior management and Ministerial ownership and leadership, including an engaged senior executive as Senior Responsible Owner (SRO)
- clear governance arrangements that ensure on-going alignment with business objectives
- early and sustained stakeholder engagement, with active management of critical stakeholder issues
- organisational commitment to good project and risk management practice
- project team with the necessary skills and experience
- business cases with transparent underlying drivers, well-researched and rigorously analysed options, and benefits with specific metrics and delivery timeframes.
To date the Gateway reviews conducted in New Zealand made a total of 1148 recommendations.
The lessons learned presented in the reports are grouped by key themes, listed here in order of frequency:
1. Business Case
2. Risks & Issues Management
4. Sourcing Strategy & Management
5. Transition into Service
6. Programme & project management
8. Stakeholder management
9. Benefits realisation
10. Management of change
To read the full reports, go to the PDF versions, attached under Related resources to the right.